Sunday, August 4, 2013

The worst picture of me ever! And a few anecdotes from week 2

A few days ago I realized I needed some new passport photos for my residency permit. They had warned us to bring a huge stack of them with us, but that was about three months before we left the country so I have no idea what happened to them in the chaos of the last month. Good news is it's easy to get new ones here, since lots of people need a lot of them!

Here is how it turned out:



When I stepped in the photobooth, I smiled like I normally do for a picture, and then the photographer set his camera down and said something I couldn't understand. After a few tries I figured out he was trying to say "Little Smile". Apparently my normal smile is too smiley for this type of picture. I tried to tone it down, but that was really hard for me to do! So this picture is me trying to smile but not too much and also suppress a huge giggle. Turns out that is a terrible combination! And I really hope that's not what I actually look like all the time.

Today is Sunday, which means it's the start of the second work week in Saudi for Travis. Last week it didn't bother me at all he went to work on a Sunday, but after the previous month of craziness I didn't really know what day it was anyway. We've had a week of a 'new normal' and now I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that he started the work week today, yet Tuesday is still two days away. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I'm feeling a little 'off' today.

We had our first OB appointment with the Saudi Dr last week. I'm so glad our new friend Heather accompanied us and showed us where to go and what to do! I would have been completely overwhelmed trying to do that on my own. First we had to get registered, which sounds simple but it was really nice having Heather there to help answer questions that would have confused me. Then we went upstairs to get checked in for my appointment. The appointment itself went fine, but it did not feel like a doctors office to me! There is ornate marble and woodwork everywhere which made it feel like I was having an appointment in a fancy hotel. There were also fishtanks and a waterfall, both of which Lucy loved. Sorry there aren't any pictures, but I've heard taking pictures in public here is a bit taboo, so I'm going to hold off for now. The Doctor said everything looks great, and coincidentally Baby #2 is just as breech as Lucy was! There's still time for her to turn but Lucy didn't so I'm not planning on it. 

Now for the really exciting news: We think we've decided where to go on our first trip! We're hoping to go to Germany in late November/early December to see some Christmas markets and castles. We'll likely fly into Frankfurt and spend a few days there so I can show Travis the house I lived in when I was a kid. From there I think we'll head south, but I'm not yet sure how far south we'll go. I definitely want to spend a day or two in Rothenberg, and once we get into the planning we'll figure out how much farther we want to go with a 2 year old and an infant. We've just started planning so let us know if you want to join us! I'd love to share my favorite German Christmas memories with you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment