Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Happy 8th Anniversary to us! Just another day in the desert...

Today was a pretty normal day. Travis went to work, I tried to wake up a few hours before Lucy and was mildly successful. Lucy was generally pleasant this morning, except she insisted on eating my oatmeal despite whining and begging for cheerios before we sat down. Some battles aren't worth fighting! We made the trek to Khobar by ourselves so I could get some blood work done (why this had to be done in Khobar I'm not sure. But it seemed easier to go there than try to communicate that I would rather do it here and get the results sent there). I think I've had more than my fair share of blood draws over the past 3+ years, and I was a little frustrated they couldn't just believe the results from the multiple blood draws I've had back home this pregnancy. I don't like getting blood drawn and I was honestly quite terrified of having it done here. But I was pleasantly surprised at how kind and gentle the young phlebotomist was! Maybe he was being extra kind because I looked terrified. Regardless it was far more pleasant than the jabs from the large southern ladies at Quest Labs who have been taking my blood on a regular basis for 3+ years.

So enough about my blood work. On to interesting observations of the day.

1) A local man moved to the other side of the waiting room when Lucy and I sat down nearby, then eyed us suspiciously for awhile. I'm sure this isn't the last time this will happen, but it was the first time I felt noticed for being either American or female (or both).

2) Everyone else I encountered was extremely kind and courteous. While we were waiting for the driver to pick us up after my appointment a 'hospital greeter' brought a chair outside for me to sit in while we waited. This has never happened at home!

3) I saw a young Saudi family leave the hospital with their newborn... and the husband placed his newborn in his wife's lap in the front seat of their car! THIS IS NOT OK!!! I had been warned this is how they do it here, but it still took every ounce of restraint I had to not go rescue that baby and find it a carseat! I have seen the wrecks on these roads and they are not simple fender benders.

4) I saw 4 or 5 roadside produce stands leaving Khobar. And they were all selling... Watermelon! I find this interesting for a country with no lakes or rivers and only 3% arable land.

5) Lucy has figured out how to use the iPad by herself. She calls it the "ElmoPad". As much as I try to engage her in other activities, nothing is as exciting to her as Elmo videos. At least they are educational and teach her about animals and letters... or so I tell myself.

This evening Travis and I celebrated our anniversary at "The Steakhouse", one of the nicer restaurants in town. They have an excellent salad bar and bring out your raw steak on an extremely hot (450 degrees C!) rock. It was kind of like eating fondue switching out a hot rock for a hot pot. Our new friends Dan and Heather babysat Lucy for us and Travis and I really appreciated not having to share our fries with her. Thanks Dan and Heather!

It's hard to believe it's been 8 years since we got married. That sounds like a long time! We never would have guessed we'd be where we are today (as in Saudi Arabia... not that we'd be married for 8 years :) ) Travis, I am so thankful for every day we get to spend together. You have filled my life with more love than I ever thought possible! Thank you for everything you do for me and our family. I know it's not always easy. Even though today was 'normal', it was perfect, because I know you are with me 100%. This song says it best :)


2 comments:

  1. This blog has to take some effort, esp. including your wonderful and beautiful picture and the song! I really appreciate all this! ~MM
    \

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful that your marriage was not the point in question! We are glad that you continue to "put up with" Travis, Jeanette! Only partially kidding - he is his father's son. (this is from Travis' mother)

    ReplyDelete